Originally posted on October 9, 2020 @ 6:00 am
- Mortars are the player’s light splash defenses. Whenever an enemy comes into range, it blasts out an explosive shell that deals area damage.
- Starting at level 8, the Master Builder in the Builder Base can Gear Up a single Mortar to make it resemble a Multi Mortar. The geared up Mortar fires bursts of three shots, albeit with reduced damage.
- Your Multi Mortar needs to be level 8 or higher.
- Mortars shoot long-range explosive shells every 5 seconds which deal devastating splash damage to every ground unit within a small radius of the impact point. Their splash damage, combined with their long-range, makes them deadly weapons against large groups of weaker enemies such as Barbarians, Archers, or Goblins. Multiple mortars can sweep away Giants and Wizards.
- The Mortar’s low Damage per Second is due to its very slow firing speed; multiplying its DPS by 5 (its hit speed) will give you its damage per shot, which is the more important stat for Mortars.
- The Mortar shell’s explosion is so powerful that it knocks back smaller Troops. It is possible that a troop, after getting knocked back, will change its targets depending on the current situation.
- A Mortar’s major disadvantages are its inability to attack troops within its 4-tile blind spot, its low rate of fire, and low DPS which makes them less effective against high-health troops. It also cannot attack air troops, such as Balloons.
- Due to the fact that the Mortar’s shell takes a while to reach its target (over a second at maximum range), fast troops like Goblins can easily dodge its attack if they are moving when the Mortar fires.